- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, except the buns, and mix until just combined.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal parts and form 4 burgers. Place on a plate and refrigerate until ready for grilling.
- Coat a grill or stove-top grill pan with high-heat olive or canola oil spray. Heat the grill to a high temperature (450° to 500° F).
- Grill the burgers for 6 to 8 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Check for doneness with a thermometer. The internal temperature should be about 160° F; burgers will continue to cook after they’re removed from the grill or pan.
- Top with fresh romaine leaves, sliced tomatoes, and red onion, if desired, and place on a bun. Serve with Greek Yogurt Spread, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Sizzle & Smoke: The Ultimate Guide to Grilling for Diabetes, Prediabetes, and Heart Health by Steve Petusevsky. Available at shopdiabetes.org, 800-232-6733, or bookstores nationwide.