|Makes: 4 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 egg, 1/2 cup sauce, 1 slice toast|
|Choices: Starch 1.5, Nonstarchy Vegetable 2, Medium-Fat Protein 1, Fat 0.5|
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 egg, 1/2 cup sauce, 1 slice toast
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
|1||med.||red bell pepper, chopped|
|2||garlic cloves, minced|
|2||cups||jarred low-sodium, fat-free marinara sauce (such as Walnut Acres)|
|1/8||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2||cup||basil leaves, stems trimmed|
|4||slices whole–wheat bread, toasted|
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the marinara sauce, cayenne,and black pepper. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 4 indentations, spaced out from each other, in the sauce. Gently crack an egg into each indentation. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook until set but still soft, about 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle the basil leaves over the mixture in the skillet, cover, and cook for 1 minute. The eggs should be set, not runny.
- Spoon 1 egg and 1/2 cup of sauce over each slice of the toasted bread to serve.